tel: (845) 534-8282
fax: (845) 534-3827
Everyone is welcome to use the Cornwall Public Library; however, every patron must refrain from materially disrupting the use ofr Library facilities, collections or services. Quiet conversation is expected at all times. Patrons are urged to report disruptive behavior immediately to staff so appropriate steps can be taken. Disruptive or unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to the following:
- Engaging in loud or offensive conversation or rowdy behavior;
- Annoying or harassing behavior, with or without the intent to disturb others, including use of personal stereos. Headphones
must be used at all times and the volume must be inaudible to others;
- Abusive speech or action toward Library staff or other patrons;
- Damaging, defacing, or misusing Library materials, equipment or facilities. The Library and its contents
belong to the citizens of Cornwall. Patrons damaging the Library facility or its contents will be held responsible
for necessary replacement or repair. If the patron is a minor, parents or guardians will be held responsible as provided
by Education Law NYS 264*;
- Loitering or sleeping;
- Relocating Library furniture or equipment without the permission of the Library Director;
- Soliciting, selling of any kind, or distributing leaflets not specifically approved by the Library Director;
- Posting notices without prior approval of the Library Director;
- Possessing or using alcohol or controlled substances on Library premises;
- Individuals who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs are prohibited from using the Library;
- Possessing or consuming food or drink in the main Library;
- Using tobacco products in the Library;
- Holding unauthorized or unscheduled group meetings or group conversations;
- Blocking or interfering with the free movement of individuals;
- Using restrooms for meetings, loitering, solicitation for immoral purposes, for the consumption of alcohol or
- Improper attire; shirts and shoes are required;
- Refusal to produce proper identification if requested by a staff member may result in immediate eviction;
Library reserves the right to inspect the contents of any bag, knapsack, briefcase, etc.
- Entering the Library's staff areas, except on approval by Library personnel
- Individuals with offensive body odor leading to complaints from other Library users and/or
staff will be required to leave.
Entering the Library signifies agreement with these rules and regulations. Enforcement of this policy will consist of the Library staff giving the patron violating this policy a verbal
warning. If the patron continues to violate this policy, s/he will be asked to leave. Finally, if a patron refuses
to leave, the Cornwall Police will be notified and the offender may be prosecuted for tresspassing.
Cell Phones & Beepers
Owners of cell phones and/or beepers will be expected to turn ringers off, or turn them down to their lowest level while anywhere in CPL. If cell phone and/or beeper use is required, users must move to the Library lobby or outside the building. Loud conversation is both unnecessary and unacceptable. Failure to comply may result in loss of library privileges.
By following these rules, staff and patrons will make CPL a good place for learning, recreational reading and research.
*Education Law NYS 264, Injuries to Property, states the following: Whoever intentionally injures, defaces or destroys any property belonging to or deposited in any incorporated library, reading room, museum or other educational institution, shall be punished by improsonment in a state prison for not more than three years, or in a county jail for not more than one year, or by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars, or both such fine and imprisonment. (Formerly 266, L. 1947, c. 820; renumbered 264, L. 1950, c. 273, 5.)
Approved December 2000